2006-09-18

A brief HOWTO live under Linux

For some reason my interaction with Linux recently follows the algorithm:

  1. Extremely need some missing functionality in a necessary program

  2. For a long time I whimper, but stand it

  3. At last I read manuals suppose what if this feature exists and if does not how this program can be integrated with others

  4. Google for an external program implementing the necessary piece

  5. Put all together and get what I wanted.



For example, http client elisp implementation can not work through proxy with authorization, all who use it can not do it accordingly. It is possible to write in Live Journal using Emacs, but to post it is not. I googled, found a variant... and for a long time hardly tried to understand the implementation details so that to create a correct config. The result is here.

I constantly wanted to have a possibility of copying the full path to a current selection in a file manager - in Far it is done with Ctrl-Shift-F combination. After that in any program execute File->Open and insert this file name. Voila. I do not know how to get the same functionality in Nautilus but for mc I've found a console utility for working with clipboard and created an additional item of the user menu:


~/.mc/menu 1 Copy current location to clipboard
echo -n %d/%p | xclip -selection clipboard


It turned out that X server supports whole three kinds of clipboards...

No comments:

Post a Comment