2006-09-22

Usability: Integration of file manager and File->Open dialog

In the light of the previous post I thought that copying the full path to a file to the clipboard and inserting it into File Open dialog running from another program it's a solution of a problem that could never happen.

I know two ways of starting work with a file. The first one is to open a required program, run File Open dialog and chose the file. The second is rely upon file manager, find and «run» the file from it. Many times I've met an opinion that that the possibility of the user interface to do the same thing in a few ways is not good. There is a point of view that files should not be opened at all...

In short, the best problem solution is the problem absence. But it is still not clear what to do with all this variety of programs and file managers.

On linux waving the magic wand LD_PRELOAD and replacing standard libraries without recompiling I can do everything I wish, I can dream:

Throwing off all pink elephants in yellow pants it seems to me that the most digestible solution is to display in File Open dialog folders, which are opened in my file managers.

As usual, they are about 10-15, so it is not difficult to pick up a necessary file. There is no need of copying and inserting anything. My attention is not spread on a whole lot of hard disk folders, everything I need is opened in my Nautilus. I'm concentrating on my task.


Update: No, it's not convenient, there is a need to open a file in a subfolder of an opened folder, so we've come to the beginning — the whole tree in File Open dialog.

No comments:

Post a Comment